Dr. Kidd's Recommended Commentaries for Acts
- J.R.W. Stott, The Spirit, the Church & the World (IVP, 1990)
- F.F. Bruce (Eerdmans, 1951)
- B. Witherington (Eerdmans, 1998)- his commentaries are always done from the point of view of ancient rhetoric, and are full of juicy bits of Roman social history. As far as I can tell, he is evangelical, but not reformed.
- L.T. Johnson (Glazier, 1992) - use in conjunction with his Luke commentary; excellent literary analysis.
- I. Howard Marshall (IVP, 1980)
- E. Haenchen (Westminster, 1971) - wildly & imaginatively liberal - the benchmark against which all critical commentaries are measured.